Friday, November 11, 2005

"Good Grief" Book Review


No, I'm not going to discuss this week's "Peanuts" cartoon but rather a nice little book by Lolly Winston. "Good Grief" tells the story of Sophie Stanton, a thirty-six year old woman dealing with the death of her beloved husband Ethan. At the beginning of the book she isn't dealing with his death particularly well, she crashes her car through the garage, enters into a food depression and finally goes to work with her bathrobe and bunny slippers on. Needless to say, Sophie's life isn't going particularly well and after some intensive therapy and a visit from her dad she gets back on her feet and decides to make some life changes. That's pretty much all of part one but I am going to save part two and three for you to read for yourselves because then what's the point of reading it?
It's not a long or difficult read, I would categorise it as entertaining. It's kind of bittersweet and for anyone who has ever lost someone close to them it will definately strike a chord of familiarity. Personally, I lost someone very close to me eleven years and approximately 15 days ago and the truth is you never really get over it. There are birthdays and the anniversary of their deaths that constantly bring the sense of loss back to you. I think you get over the shock of it and even though your life goes on there's always something that reminds you of them and although you may feel like sitting in a dark room for days with your memories more often than not you won't have that luxury and you have to keep on keepin' on.
Honestly, I liked this story because it reminded me of my experiences after my friend's death and even though the story itself doesn't parallel my own, the emotions do. It's nice to know that you're not alone in your grief.

1 comment:

Angry Gnome said...

Sorry to hear about William Wallace.