Friday, November 18, 2005

Hogwarts Express Slightly Off-Track

Ok, so I have taken the time to collect my thoughts on the new Harry Potter movie and I have come to the conclusion that while it may be my favourite book in the entire series so far, as a movie it was kind of disappointing. I can't really put my finger on what it is that left me with this feeling, I suppose I felt it was a little choppy and although I am fully aware that certain parts of the book had to be skipped because of time constraints, my question is why make up new storylines when the original ones stayed true to the past ones and could come in handy for future films? Where were the house elves and S.P.E.W? Where were the oldest Weasly brothers? Why did Voldermort look like the burnt guy from the English Patient?
You know, I hate to put the blame on director Mike Newell's shoulders alone but I think he may have been the wrong choice for the franchise thusfar. Mona Lisa Smile? Pushing Tin? Mediocre movies at best. Four Weddings and a Funeral was a goood film but at the other end of the spectrum in terms of movie genres. Say what you want about the quality of Chris Columbus' other films, at least he knew how to bring the whimsy. You know what people? Columbus understood that the film was first and foremost a fantasy and I think he did an admirable job in bringing that to the screen with the first two movies. Alfonso Cuaron also did a splendid job with Prisoner of Azkaban and although his vision for the film was more solemn and moody, at least he held true to the spirit of the series. In all honesty, I felt this film fell flat and lacked the magic the first three had. I guess I can only hope that David Yates' Order of the Pheonix will get this franchise back on track after a slight derailment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know what? I agree with you entirely. Good call, Angry Gnome.