Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Finally, a home to call my own

It’s been a stressful time but I have finally ended my apartment search. After the slight disappointment of having a place that I wanted fall through due to circumstances beyond my control I was pretty sure that I was going to have to find a place that I didn’t really like because I was running out of time but alas, the fates have smiled on me and led me to a nice little flat near my Neffo Steffo. In fact, I am only a block away! I wasn’t sure I wanted to return to the neighborhood she lives in (I briefly lived there with a friend for less than a year and it ended, uh, badly) but I think that having my own place and having such a good friend so close by will be pretty sweet. It’s like, I have the freedom to do what I want and veg out in my own personal environment but I also have the possibility of hanging with her when it gets boring. Plus, we can schedule grocery-shopping time and split the cab between us and it will cost us next to nothing.
Next up to do is to sign the lease this coming Friday and I have to fork over 1300$ for the place. Ugh. Well, at least it’s a nice place and I feel comfortable there. In all honesty, it’s not much to look at from the outside but the inside is quite nice and charming and I am pretty psyched about the dark wood floors and the balcony off the kitchen. I suppose I could go on describing it but I’ll probably have a housewarming so most of you will see it then. I haven’t decided if I am going to paint anything yet, as it is the walls are white and I think I can live with them but I guess time will tell. As for the general décor, this poses a problem I haven’t really had to deal with yet as I have either moved into a place that was already decorated by someone living there or I have moved into a place owned by the parentals. Most of you know what the condo looks like inside and let me just tell you, it’s not what I would have chosen had it belonged to me. There were personal touches here and there but for the most part the place just oozed “Herb & Lee”.
I don’t really know what my personal interior decorating style is, I like contemporary pieces and design but because I am getting a few “hand-me-downs” the style is veering towards the “traditional”. I have inherited my great-aunts dinning room set and it’s pretty nice although I would like to re-upolster the chairs as they are floral and I am not a big fan of floral. Also, because of Kiwi and Whitey I pretty much have to stick with beiges and grey tones for couches and chairs as I like to stick the tried and true “If I can’t see the hair then it’s not there.” However, saying this I would really love a certain dark chocolate couch from Ikea that I’ve had my eye on for a long time. Ah well, Whitey is still alive so that will have to be postponed.
Does anyone have an idea what my style is?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm psyched to have a friend nearby after 2 1/2 years all by my lonesome. And sorry, but I don't know what you're decorating style is. I think you should get a piece here and there and your style will dictate itself.

Angry Gnome said...

Yeah, it's hard to know because I've never had anything to decorate.

Blogger_Naut said...

When I first moved out on my own, I was all gung-ho on buying all sorts of furniture and whatnot. Well, once I had to pay rent, there went any "spending" money. My suggestion is to buy a decor magazine or escape to renodepot and get those paint swatch booklets that have ideas for colour schemes. Then you can dream a little and maybe save a little and then you'll find you're decor-diva. I suspect you might do well with a 60's retro style, or an asian flare - a white shag carpet and some chinese lamps maybe?