Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.

Despite the fact that I have titled this blog after a Carpenters song as well as the fact that Monday was, like, two days ago I feel that this blog is in tune with my feelings today. I don’t know, it may be that life is always a little grey and depressing after a Montreal winter and you know what, I don’t even think what I feel is depression, it may be more accurate to describe it as anxiety over the future.

As many of you know, I will be moving in the next couple of months and am now on the lookout for new apartments and I kind of find it stressful. Don’t get me wrong, I like looking at other’s people’s homes but it’s the whole ordeal of finding a place where I feel comfortable, where everything is within walking distance and where I can see perhaps living for more than one year is a difficult task.

In addition to the apartment thing I feel that professionally I am a little “up in the air”. Don’t get me wrong, I like my job at the law firm but there are circumstances that are forcing me to rethink whether or not I want to be employed with the company I am currently with. Nothing is ever set in stone, and, for the most part I have accepted that but can a person just have a little stability now and then? I understand that life is full of ups and downs and is constantly evolving into something else but sometimes I wish I could breathe freely again without worrying what tomorrow will bring.

So, to recap: Apartment hunting is stressful, I am rethinking my work situation, I have applied for a job in Halifax with same company with who I am rethinking my work situation.

Wait, did I mention the Halifax thing before? No, I don’t think so. Anyhoo, here’s the dealio, there is a new site that my company has acquired and needs to send someone there. The position is still undefined but I would officially have to say I would be there for more than one year. I think it would be an interesting opportunity even though it is far away from friends and family for a little while. In any case, a couple of years isn’t so bad and it may be the thing I need to push me kicking and screaming into adulthood. Right now I think I am in a front-running position for the job and if it was offered to me with the right price and incentives then I would take it. I know, I know, you’re thinking that if I have anxiety over finding apartments in a city that I have lived in my entire life, what kind of basket case will I be when I am looking for them in an unknown city? Well, here’s my answer: To me a move is a move is a move. It all comes out to the same thing. I mainly feel anxiety over the change.

1 comment:

Yvette said...

Hey Angry Gnome, or should I say Stressed Angry Gnome? I hear where you're coming from with the moving thing. If you've read my own blog, you'll see that I was ready take Valium intravenously BECAUSE WE'RE MOVING. It can only be termed stressful, no matter how much I'm looking forward to finally having a house. And I moved from Montreal to Vancouver to Zurich within half a year, so
I know all about long-distance upheaval. You go for that job in Halifax - if you don't, you may regret it forever. I know all about regrets, but that's a subject in itself.